Friday, July 21, 2017

Writer Burnout

I'm writing this post on my phone as I've been staring at the screen above for just over half an hour now. Seriously, Windows 10? Your timing is the pits.

But it did get me thinking about us writers and what it takes to avoid burnout. I'm currently about a quarter way into a three book series on deadline. I feel like I've been on deadline forever. Over the last week, I realized I'm tired. (Genius, I know!)

But here's the thing. There are different ways to handle this. My default is to fall off the rails. By this I mean - all I want to do is NOTHING. N.O.T.H.I.N.G. Don't talk to me about dishes or deadlines or hungry kids or or or. Now unplugging to this extent does have value, but it is also a bit like unplugging your flat cellphone from the electricity so that it can rest.

I'm slowly learning to recognise the start of my edges fraying. What can I say, I'm a slow learner *facepalm*. I'm also shifting the way I do downtime.

Cut back on the busy-busy? Yes. Unplug from my power source? Nope. I'm not talking about working hard to 'push into' His presence. Burnout is not the best time for fasting and flagellation.

I'm suggesting curling up on His lap. Taking time to hear Him whispering love into your stretched soul. Allowing your mind to wander through His field of dreams. Let them take your hand and spin you through some new dance moves. Breathe. Be. Fly.

Working on updates. Do not turn off your PC.

This is a good time to allow the Lover of your Soul to download new updates. Do not turn off your PC!

I don't have burnout nailed, but I have learnt not to unplug.

How do you deal with burnout?

Dianne J. Wilson writes novels from her hometown in East London, South Africa, where she lives with her husband and three daughters. She has just signed a three book contract for a YA series, Spirit Walker, with Pelican / Watershed.

Finding Mia is available from AmazonPelican / Harbourlight, Barnes & Noble and other bookstores.

Shackles is available as a free ebook from Amazon & Smashwords.


Find her on FacebookTwitter and her sporadic blog Doodles.

3 comments:

  1. Love this advice, Dianne, thank you. Now I know what to do next time my laptop decides to update!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruth, I shudder to think how much of our lives is spent waiting on technology! But I love the fact that we can be with Him wherever, whenever and He is always happy to have us.

      Delete
  2. Oh yes, Di. Been there, done that! I agree. We spend way too long waiting on technology. Right now, I'm saving a tutorial for the SEVENTH TIME as each time something went wrong. And yes, it is one I very much want to listen to. Of course, if I'd just sat and listened the first time I would have saved a lot of time but . . . I was busy!

    ReplyDelete